Advocacy & Education
ORAM leverages our direct experience with clients to advocate for key policy changes to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) asylum seekers and refugees from the time they leave home, until they are safely resettled in supportive communities.
The particular experiences and needs of LGBTI refugees are not well understood by the agencies that serve them. ORAM prioritizes research, education, and training of NGOs, institutions, and decision-makers to improve conditions for LGBTI refugees.
In 2011, ORAM formed an official partnership with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNCHR), leading and coordinating international action to protect LGBTI refugees. The ORAM-UNHCR Joint Secretariat's focus spans the following areas:
- Policy: Creating guidance and training for non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the UNHCR and governments to better protect LGBTI people fleeing persecution.
- Research: Coordinating with NGOs to investigate challenges LGBTI refugees face in transit, assessing refugee assistance organizations' assistance to LGBTI refugees and encouraging communities to integrate resettled LGBTI refugees.
- Direct Services: Connecting NGOs assisting vulnerable LGBTI refugees to assure their needs are met.
Learn more about our advocacy and education outreach work by clicking on the links below:
- Tri-Agency Webinar - Episcopal Migration Ministries, Church World Service and Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (Feb. 29, 2012): ORAM Executive Director Neil Grungras Presents on the Resettlement Needs of LGBTI Refugees
- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Refugee Resettlement 2011 National Consultation (Aug. 1, 2011): Notes from Workshop on Resettlement Needs of LGBTI Refugees
- 13th Conference of the International Association for the Study of Forced Migration (July 3-6, 2011): Video of ORAM Director of Advocacy Rachel Levitan Discussing Protection Barriers Faced by LGBTI Refugees
- UNHCR Annual Consultations With NGOs 2011 (June 29, 2011): Notes From Side Meeting on The Role of NGOs in the Protection of Refugees Fleeing Persecution Based on Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity
- ORAM's Second Annual Lecture Series: Hidden Topics in LGBTI Asylum and Refugee Law (June 24, 2011)